Tuscany and Cinque Terre April 28, 2017

My husband and I will be taking the Tuscany and Cinque Terre tour in April ending on May 6th. We plan to go to Venice flying out of Venice May 11th. Any recommendations? We plan to take the train from Florence to Venice but have to book that and a place to stay. We've never been to Venice so open to tours, sites etc. that we shouldn't miss.

Comments

• The Tuscany and Cinque Terre tour is a great choice (we did it in 2015). However, there is lots to see in Florence that the tour doesn't cover, so I would consider an extra day or two in Florence and then on to Venice. The Pitti Palace and the surrounding gardens are definitely worth seeing as is the Bargello museum. We also did a Tuscany Food and Wine Safari tour from Florence through Walkabout Florence. I've recommended it previously in this forum - awesome.

As for Venice, it is very expensive and we found that two days was all we needed to see it (I'm sure others will disagree, but that's my take on it). You can book your train trip through raileurope.com or a travel agent. As to what to see, the usual sights are the art museums, the Doge's Palace, the Rialto Bridge and St. Mark's Cathedral. Take a gondola ride if you must, but be prepared for the high prices.

We were there with the Tauck Classic Italy tour and stayed at the Westin Europa and Regina. Fantastic location, but outrageously expensive. It holds the record for the most expensive drink I 've ever had in a hotel bar. Two gin and tonics were $35, as I recall and this was in 2005.

For other sights and hotels, I would recommend checking out a Rick Steve's guide from your library or buying one. Also, the Eyewitness guides from DK publishing are good illustrated guides to the sights, but not as good for hotels and restaurants (Rick is very candid in his reviews).

As for tours, viator.com is a good place to look. Remember to read the reviews.

For a good restaurant, I would offer the Ristorante alla Madonna, near the Rialto Bridge (see Google maps for the exact location, they also have a website). Great seafood and reasonable prices (for Venice). It has a mix of locals and tourists. It was recommended to me by a woman I knew who grew up in Venice.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your trip.
  • edited December 2016

. . . there is lots to see in Florence that the tour doesn't cover, so I would consider an extra day or two in Florence and then on to Venice. . . . .As for Venice, it is very expensive and we found that two days was all we needed to see it (I'm sure others will disagree, but that's my take on it).

My wife and I agree 100%. There is so much to see in Florence- you could spend a week there and still not see it all. We booked extra activities to fill every free moment- Opera dei Duomo buildings, climbed Brunelleschi's dome, Segway tour, side trip to Pisa, etc.
    We were there with the Tauck Classic Italy tour and stayed at the Westin Europa and Regina. Fantastic location, but outrageously expensive. It holds the record for the most expensive drink I 've ever had in a hotel bar. Two gin and tonics were $35, as I recall and this was in 2005.

I think we got you beat- we paid about the same for a smallish Bellini and a Bellini soft drink at Harry's bar (birthplace of the Bellini)
    For a good restaurant, I would offer the Ristorante alla Madonna, near the Rialto Bridge (see Google maps for the exact location, they also have a website). Great seafood and reasonable prices (for Venice). It has a mix of locals and tourists. It was recommended to me by a woman I knew who grew up in Venice.

Another good place is the Antico Martini restaurant- it faces the campo in front of the Fenice Opera House- literally just a few steps from the Opera House. The fire there in the 90's was the subject of the book "City of Falling Angels" by John Berendt a good book to read to get a feel for the city and its people. Berendt is the author of the best seller "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil."
  • Thanks for all the help. We are now planning to spend some time in Florence after the trip.
  • We will still go to Venice and yes, probably take one of those Gondola rides since we will be celebrating my birthday there.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file