Options

Timeline for Visa, yellow fever, malaria

What is the suggested timeline for getting yellow fever vaccine, malaria pills and visas for K&T trip July 20, 2019?

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2018
    You can get the Yellow Fever shot at any time. The shot reaches full effect within 10 days and is good for life. You might want to check sooner than later however because there had been a national shortage. I don't know if it still exists, but you should check now. However, you should see a travel doctor who can review your medical history, because there are contra-indications:

"Children under 6 months of age, persons with immune deficiencies or on immunosuppressive or immunomodulatory therapies, persons with allergies to egg proteins, thymus disorders, malignant neoplasms, transplant recipients, and persons with symptomatic HIV infection should not get the Yellow Fever vaccine. If vaccination is contraindicated for medical reasons an exemption letter or waiver should be issued to the traveller. However, acceptance of such a letter is at the discretion of the destination country, and entry might be denied."

When you should start taking the Malaria prophylaxis depends on the particular one. My wife had one, I had another. The main ones are:

Atovaquone/Proguanil (Malarone)
    Chloroquine.
    Doxycycline.
    Mefloquine (Lariam)
    Primaquine.

Dosage and course vary. You start taking some a week or so before you go and continue for a time after you return. The only approved vaccine has low efficacy in certain populations and is not yet the drug of choice. It requires 4 shots. Again, see a travel doctor.

VISA- unless you will need your passport for another trip, apply about 60 days before your trip.

Tanzanian Visa: "Validity. Single-entry (business and tourist) visa is valid for three months from the date of issue. Multiple-entry visa is valid for either six or 12 months from the date of issue."

Kenya Visa: "An evisa to Kenya once issued is valid for 3 months before you travel. Once you present yourself to immigration control at the port of entry, you may be issued with a stay period not exceeding 90 days, which may be renewed for a further 90 days at the immigration headquarters. The maximum number of days a visitor may stay in Kenya is 6 months. "
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    It appeared to me that everyone in our group had the Kenya eVisa. If you are doing it yourself, you should be aware that having the information you see on their paper visa appliation is not sufficient. So if you want to have a chance at completing the online eVisa application on the first ‘pass’, you will need this additional info.

Some may seem obvious, but for various reasons some may not be at your fingertips. The online application will time-out if you don’t have this info and have to go look for it.

Parents full names
    Proposed date if entry
    Proposed date of departure
    Address: Amboseli Serena Safari Lodge
    Physical Address: Amboseloi National Park
    Telephone #: 254735522361
    Email: Ambosel@serena.co.ke
    Arriving by: Road
    Point of entry: Namanga
    Dates and duration of previous visits to Kenya:
    Then you must:
    Scan/upload a picture of your passport’s bio data page
    Upload additional documents: Such as, air itinerary, tickets, Tauck contract, etc. I forgot what they asked for.
    Upload a passport size photo: 500 pixels X 500 pixels.

If you have all this material, plus what is requested on the paper application, you can do it in about 20 minutes. If not it may take a long time.
  • Options
    milmil
    edited November 2018
    my advise to anyone... get your shot & meds at Costco. 1/2 price. The travel clinics are a rip off , I did all for $160 . Check with your local Costco, not all of them have the permit for the Yellow Fever.
    Also, PLEASE!! do not get all the shots at same time, do Yellow fever them a few month later the others.. it will be easier on your body.
    About the visas, what ever you decide don't wait till your arrival @ Kilimanjaro ... there is always a line of at least 100 people , plus you do get the Visa at a window next to immigration than have to do another line to have passports and visas checked & stamp + finger prints.) and the immigration and the personal is super suuuuperrrrr slow , keep in mind you do arrive late, around 7-8 pm. our group had to wait 45 min. ( after 18 + hours between flights & layovers...) for a couple of ladies.. getting their visas :(( and than another 40 min. drive to the hotel.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    One of the advantages of arriving two days early as we often do for a trip is that we rarely have to share a ride to the hotel. Just as well when we went to Tanzania for the second time because our luggage did not arrive and so we spent time filling in forms and our poor driver had to wait ages for us but at least we did not delay others. There is only one KLM flight a day, so our luggage arrived the following evening on the next flight.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file