Peru and Galapagos trip May 30-June 13

My husband Fred and I are looking forward to this trip as this will be only our second trip with Tauck. We had a great trip 2 years ago to Athens and Istanbul, and now are anxious for this new adventure. Been reading all the posts of Alans and found it to be very helpful. Still have a lot of questions and would like to touch base with others on this trip.

Comments

• My husband Bob and I are going on the May 29th trip to Peru and the Galapagos Islands. We have done several other tours with Tauck and they have all been wonderful, so we're looking forward to this new adventure. We are in St. Petersburg, FL where the weather is always warm, but we're at sea level so we have some altitude pills to bring along. Looking forward to meeting everyone on the trip.
  • edited April 2017
    I need to update my thread. The best laid plans . . . internet was the worst of the 7 Tauck tours we have taken and that includes K&T in Africa. Email was slow but possible and rumor has it someone had a successful Facetime session late one night on the Isabela II.
  • bob munch wrote:
    My husband Bob and I are going on the May 29th trip to Peru and the Galapagos Islands. We have done several other tours with Tauck and they have all been wonderful, so we're looking forward to this new adventure. We are in St. Petersburg, FL where the weather is always warm, but we're at sea level so we have some altitude pills to bring along. Looking forward to meeting everyone on the trip.

Look forward to meeting you on the trip to Peru. Will you be getting any of the Yellow fever or shots that are recommended? We are planning on speaking to our Doctor soon about altitude pills just in case. We just returned from skiing in Vail at about 11,400 feet and never had any issues but also do not want be prepared in case Matchu Piccu is different. Just also ran a big dental meeting at the Vinoy in St. Petersburg in March, and it was a beautiful and fun area.
  • We did this trip last May. Some hints if I may
    Do not I repeat Do not drink anything that is not in a bottle
    That includes Pisco Sours. No matter what Tauck says is
    safe, use common sense. Many people on our tour got
    sick due to food and drink at a catered dinner.
    We started taking altitude pills but they caused more
    problems than they were worth. When going to Machu Pichu
    Just take it easy. Slowly adjust. Dont try to do too much the first
    day or so. Cusco is higher than Machu and that is where you will
    be spending time. Streets are sloped so you will be worn out if
    you try walking too much. Also if you are at all concerned you can
    request a room with Oxygen pumped into it. A few dollars more but
    well worth it. It saved us.
    Lima is nothing to write home about but it is what it is.

As for the Galapagos , it is great. No problems. The ship is very nice
    and the guides are wonderful. We had a doctor on board but not sure
    if he is contracted out all the time. It is hot there so make sure you have
    2 hats and lots of sunscreen. There is a dryer on board but it is slow
    and you may have to wait to use it. Zodiacs are easy but if you bring
    gear make sure you have a water resistant bag or pack.
    Food on ship was good.
    We upgraded our flight to business class for 150 dollars on LAN it was great.
  • edited April 2017
    Wow- I'm sure those who got sick ate something bad, but I also think there is a middle ground and you shouldn't need to avoid everything, just be smart. We only had one or two with intestinal issues- one probably had a reaction to altitude medication, the other something they ate. Both my wife and I (we have drastically different food and medicine sensitivities and tolerances) took altitude medication; I took Diamox and my wife something else. Neither of us were affected by altitude and neither had any reactions to the drugs. We both drank Pisco Sours and both had coke or other soft drinks with ice- again no Atualpa's revenge.

Everyone has different tolerances and sensitivities. But what we have in common- all things in moderation- don't over-eat and don't imbibe to excess.

The doctor on the Isabella II on our tour was busy- gave medications for sore throats and colds, some stomach issues, our TD caught a bad cold(?) and received oral antibiotics, one traveler had an infection (spider bite?) lanced, one traveler was bitten by a wasp, one lady fell, sprained her ankle and received a cut that required 7 stitches. It was nice to have a doctor aboard.
  • My wife, daughter and I are planning to go Franch this June. If anyone interests to travel with us it will be very fun! Thanks.
  • My wife, daughter and I are planning to go Franch this June. If anyone interests to travel with us it will be very fun! Thanks.

Where are you coming from, where are you going, and which Tauck Tour are you taking? This is a Tauck tour website and forum, not a general travel bulletin board.
  • Hi Fred, My husband Allan and I will be on the trip. Looking forward to meeting you on this exciting adventure. I am Andi.
  • Hi Fred, My husband Allan and I will be on the trip. Looking forward to meeting you on this exciting adventure. I am Andi.
    Hi Andi, This is Kathy and my husband Fred and I will be on the trip. We are trying to get as much info as we can to be prepared. It appears the vaccines and shots are not mandatory so we may not get those if not necessary. Still deciding on the altitude pills as we are avid snow skiers but understand this might be different. Also planning on packing light...but that is a chore and decision to be sure to have the right stuff! Still struggling with what kind of carry on to bring that will fit under or above most of the transportation seats. Might settle on soft sided backpacks. Bought the book Turn right at Matchu Pitcu as recommended, so we are getting excited and look forward in meeting you.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file