Options

Botswana South Africa Zambia Trip

My wife and I are planning to do the Tauck trip to Botswana, South Africa and Zambia in Sept 2018. Anyone been on that trip about that time of year? My wife is a bit concerned about lodgings at Camp Kalahari. Looks a bit adventourous to me (a good thing) but she is wondering if it's too rustic. On the positive side, Camp Kalahari could be a really cool experience (though we know the temp is very warm that time of year). Any thoughts or guidance appreciated. Thx!

Comments

• Options
    We were there in the fall three years ago and LOVED the trip. I am a "five star hotel' kind of gal and I was a little taken aback when I first saw Camp Kalahari but after the first day I was truly in love with the place and didn't want to leave! It was very hot so we were up early and then would take naps after lunch. The staff goes out of their way to make it memorable. You do have to be careful of bees coming out of the bathroom faucets because they were looking for water. Just turn on the faucet and back away until the water runs clear. It is more rustic than the other camps but the experiences make up for it. I felt relaxed and very peaceful at the camp. Give it a try!
  • Options
    Thanks for the quick reply. Very helpful info. Just curious - what "experiences" did you enjoy and made it "worth it"? Basically the Tauck planned expeditions? Thanks again very much. Tom
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    We were on this tour this past September and camp Kalahari experiences were some of the highlights of our life. As far as napping in the tent after lunch at that time of year, way way too hot to do that, you need to stay out of the tent during the day. A group of us spent our little free time cooling in the small plunge pool. Chatting and having a cocktail. The staff at the camp and the manager in particular, a Belgian native, was a very knowledgeable guy.
  • Options
    Camp Kalahari only has 11 tents so the TAUCK group will be the only ones there. It makes for a more intimate experience. I enjoyed everything! The walking Safari with the Bushmen, The meerkats and especially holding onto my husband while riding the ATV across the salt pan at night! Dinners are served at one long communal table and the food was delicious. During the very hot part of the day (115 degrees in the shade) we wrapped ourselves in wet cloth wraps, turned on the fan in the tent and napped. We didn't use the plunge pool because the elephants had temporarily put it out of order.
  • Options
    We were on the Sept 8 thru Sept 21, 2017, Zambia, Botswana, & SA trip. Although I don't remember the weather specifically, I do remember that it was hot during the day, but not unbearably hot. It gets cold at night so you will definitely need the bedding that the camp provides. Be sure to stay the night on the salt pans, but bring your warm clothes so you can stay up late by the fire. It is a wonderful experience. The trip, overall, was my favorite, and we have traveled with Tauck to South America, Australia/New Zealand, China, India, and Eastern Europe. Botswana is amazing. I hope you see all of the "Big Five." There is nothing like seeing the leopard (or the lioness) walk right next to your open land rover. So close you can reach out and touch. DON'T!