clothes for indochina trip

Just wondering what people wear in the evening on the Indochina trip. Am wondering if most change for dinner or not. I know it will be very hot and humid!!

Comments

• Smart casual...after a day of heat and humidity, it is refreshing to get out of sticky clothes, shower and change into something else for a relaxing dinner...
  • Are nicer Hawaiian style shirts too casual for the evening?
  • My husband had a couple of those to take and I have a couple of dresses and I think one cute shirt. I want the majority of my clothing allowance for the day times.
  • British wrote:
    My husband had a couple of those to take and I have a couple of dresses and I think one cute shirt. I want the majority of my clothing allowance for the day times.
    When are you going on the trip? We are on the 14 of March.
  • We are on the trip right now. Just got in after a fabulous dinner in Hoi An. We have to have our bags ready at 5am in the morning!
    Twenty people on the tour, ten couples. Clothing has been very casual so far. At the Welcome dinner there was one man in a jacket, the rest were very very causal, several people in jeans and T-shirt’s and one woman in ripped knee jeans. I was the only woman in a dress, another had a skirt, the rest were in pants. Most have changed for dinner so far, mainly because you get so darned hot and sweaty, but most just into very casual clothes. Will post a review after the tour. So far it is wonderful, we have already fallen in love with Vietnam.
  • British wrote:
    We are on the trip right now. Just got in after a fabulous dinner in Hoi An. We have to have our bags ready at 5am in the morning!
    Twenty people on the tour, ten couples. Clothing has been very casual so far. At the Welcome dinner there was one man in a jacket, the rest were very very causal, several people in jeans and T-shirt’s and one woman in ripped knee jeans. I was the only woman in a dress, another had a skirt, the rest were in pants. Most have changed for dinner so far, mainly because you get so darned hot and sweaty, but most just into very casual clothes. Will post a review after the tour. So far it is wonderful, we have already fallen in love with Vietnam.
    Thank you so much!! Can't wait to hear from you when you get back - to England? If you go to any great restaurants or buy some wonderful things, please let us know!! Enjoy the rest of the tour!!!
  • How is the 44 lb. weight limit working? Are the Cu Chi tunnels claustrophobic?
  • edited February 2018
    Weight limit should be no problem if you are an efficient packer and plan carefully. We were even gone longer and had no problem and plenty of clothing options.
    Ahh, the Cu Chi Tunnels..fascinating if you have done any reading about the Viet Cong tunnel system . And, yes, they are unbelievably claustrophobic! You can get a small taste of what is is like by going through a shorter wider portion which isn’t claustrophobic. However, 5 of us opted to go through the deeper, narrower and much longer section. Even doing that, led by a guide, there is a bail-out point half way through. You know it is a challenge when they ask if you have a heart condition prior to entering. Anyway, I am tall, and after the midway point I was literally duck-walking with my head touching the top and my shoulders touching the sides! Did I mention the bats? At a critical section at the top of a small hill, a bat hit the lady in front of me ( #3 in line) in the face, and she lost her balance sliding down the hill and getting wedged around the curve at the bottom! Much to her credit, she managed to extricate herself and continue. She had a water bottle in her back pocket that broke leaving a muddy mess on the dirt path for us to get through while keeping our balance going down the hill! Of course, she looked like she had been in a mud fight by the time we got out! What a trooper! The air was dank, there was low lighting, we were all in a major sweat from the heat! Would I do it again? Oh, probably! Then there was the fact that 4 out of the 5 of us got some varying degree of sickness in the next 24 hours...coincidence? Maybe...maybe not! What an adventure!
  • It's very hot and humid on this trip. Don't miss the opportunity to go through the Cu Chi tunnels. I went through the long portion and had no problem whatsoever. But it also pays to be a short 5' woman! Tauck and the local tour guides for each segment provide water bottles and cloth wipes throughout this delightful journey.
  • At the tunnels two days ago. Less drama for our group but quite a few went through. I only went in a short section and my shoulders were catching the sides of the tunnel. Also went in the hospital room. Steep individual steps for women with short legs like me, you had to be very careful. Don’t usually get claustrophobic but had to get out. Our tour director also had similar bat stories. Killing Fields today. Was in Auschwitz this summer, that was way more moving.
  • edited February 2018
    For those of you taking this trip in the future, I HIGHLY recommend the book, “In the Shadow of the Banyan” by Vaddy Radner which is a novel (based on life experiences) of the Cambodian genocide. It is so enlightening and sad, and it makes it clear why Cambodia is missing an entire generation. A must read. “The Killing Fields” is a wonderful film, again, hilighting a piece of this dark time, but this novel resonated with me.
    When we were in Siem Reap, our TD made it clear that the children selling things were truly in need, and much of the aid going to Cambodia really does not reach those truly in need....but those children had ear to ear smiles...
  • Another good book, recommended to us by a Cambodian friend, is "First They Killed My Father". Apparently it's also a movie.
    Thanks for the Cu Chi information. Any special purchases to recommend?
    We're going on the 14 March trip - anyone else going
  • With the carry-on weight allowance, are we also allowed a personal item? How many small US $ are needed?
  • Yes, allowed small carry on personal item, the carry on bag has to be small so it fits in the small overheads on the planes on the internal flights or your bag will have to be checked. This is a great tour, it ends for us tomorrow. I have been too tired to write a full report here, several 5am ish starts and the heat, phew. Good night!