Paciic Coast Highway Closure

We are leaving on The California's Gold Tour September 21. The Pacific Coast Highway is closed at Big Sur due to a huge landslide and will be closed for quite some time. We are wondering what if any changes have been made to the route. This is our 12th Tauck tour and know that Tauck handles these type of difficulties with great ease. Anybody on the September 21st tour?

Lynn

Comments

• edited June 2017
    We here in California are so sad about the bridge collapse and now the landslide. The Highway 1 route is so amazing. You will be able to see a little of it on your drive to Hearst Castle and/or maybe they can drive you south from Monterey for some of it north of the bridge collapse. I recommend calling Tauck directly to find out how they have changed the driving route. On Google maps it looks like you have to go all the way around on 101 from Hearst Castle to Monterey. The Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge is due to reopen sometime in September, but the Mud Creek landslide could take a year they say.
  • I suspect Tauck might be in a "wait and see" mode for your particular date. There is a projected date of September for opening the road, although, those of us living in CA understand the vagaries of such Cal Trans projections! If it is not completely opened by then, hopefully Tauck will take you south down the coast from Carmel to the iconic Bixby Bridge which is before the closure. That is a gorgeous stretch of road that will give you the feel for riding along the edge of the cliffs with the ocean and rugged coastline 500 feet below you!
    I read not too long ago that the Post Ranch Inn in Big Sur was helicoptering guests in. For a mere $4000+ you can get 2 nights and a helicopter ride from Monterey!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file