Getting in and out of rubber boats??

Hello fellow travelers - I am considering this trip but am not sure about how hard it is to get in and out of those zodiacs? We are looking at other cruises where you just "cruise' and don't get to actually put your feet on the ice and I think going "ashore" would be way cooler but my hubby is not thrilled about getting in and out of those boats - any thoughts you could share would be appreciated! Thanks!!

Comments

• edited March 2017
    Sherlynn wrote:
    Hello fellow travelers - I am considering this trip but am not sure about how hard it is to get in and out of those zodiacs? We are looking at other cruises where you just "cruise' and don't get to actually put your feet on the ice and I think going "ashore" would be way cooler but my hubby is not thrilled about getting in and out of those boats - any thoughts you could share would be appreciated! Thanks!!

I haven't been on this trip but know folks who have and have read the posts here- If you can follow instructions, don''t try to improvise on your own, and trust and rely on the crew who are responsible for getting you quickly and safely into and out of the Zodiacs, it is easy and you'll be fine. The crew knows what they are doing and have done it hundreds (thousands?) of times.

The very few people who have had a problem will probably readily admit, it was because they did something they weren't supposed to which made it very difficult for the crew to do what they are trained to do.

p.s. if you look at your duplicate post, you can delete it by clicking on the "Delete" button which is in the upper right.
  • We took this cruise two years ago and LOVED it! I was very nervous about the boats because I have a balance problem. I didn't have to worry. They guide you and sometimes will just pick you up and place you in the boat. I was never afraid after our first time out. They are very professional and safety conscious. I'm glad I didn't chicken out and miss out on an opportunity of a lifetime. Go on the cruise and enjoy.
  • If you are still looking for advice, this is what we experienced when we went down to Antarctica. There are at least two crewmen at each end of the panga rides. Two crewmen are available to assist you into the panga at the ship. Everyone waits patiently in line, and we moved one by one to get assisted into the panga. Once you are seated, then they let the next person board. When you get to shore, again, there are at least two crewmen in full dry suits standing in the cold water ready to assist you to disembark from the panga. You sit on the panga side, swing your feet over and into the shallow water, and the two crewmen are available to help you keep your balance, and/or help to you land successfully.
  • AlanS wrote:
    I haven't been on this trip but know folks who have and have read the posts here- If you can follow instructions, don''t try to improvise on your own, and trust and rely on the crew who are responsible for getting you quickly and safely into and out of the Zodiacs, it is easy and you'll be fine. The crew knows what they are doing and have done it hundreds (thousands?) of times.

The very few people who have had a problem will probably readily admit, it was because they did something they weren't supposed to which made it very difficult for the crew to do what they are trained to do.

p.s. if you look at your duplicate post, you can delete it by clicking on the "Delete" button which is in the upper right.

I did the Antarctica trip .. 3 years ago? We all found getting in and out of Zodiak boats pretty simple, if you follow directions. Getting on boat from the ship, as noted, 2 crew members will help you. Getting out to the land-- again people to help you and specific instructions (remain seated, face the water (not the land) swing you legs over the side of the boat.) Do be prepared to get wet on some of the landings ---- that's why you have waterproof pants and good boots! We even had one lady with a cane --- harder for her, but she made all the landings. I highly recommend this trip and the ship (Boreal? Soleal?) is gorgeous.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file