Medical Insurance for international travel

I have been trying to find medical insurance for international traveling. In particular I would like to have higher levels of protection related to medical expenses in an international location that might be incurred before the person is able to be evacuated to a high quality hospital and if that hospital is not in the US it would cover medical expenses in that location.

Most travel insurance policies emphasize trip cancellation and medical transportation but have fairly low medical expense coverage. If one has a serious medical event where hospitalization is required and time is needed before becoming stable enough for evacuation, these expenses could add up quickly.

I have found several such policies that seem very reasonable just for the medical component but do not know anything about their claims paying integrity.

Does anyone have any input on this?

Comments

• Book medical thru Tauck. It is a great plan and will cobpver I think all of the issues you are looking to cover.
  • edited March 2017
    How about Global Rescue.
  • I have purchased the Tauck insurance but the coverage for medical expenses is quite small, $20,000 and the medical evacuation coverage is only $100,000. I you have to go to a hospital, have emergency surgery, etc. those costs would quickly exceed that limit. Also if you are transported to another country with better quality healthcare but still outside of the US, those expenses would not seem to be covered.

The plans I am looking at include medical expenses of several hundred thousand dollars along with several hundred thousand for medical evacuation/transportation. I have personal knowledge of people and events where this was needed and I just want to be sure that if I pay for it, the company will actually meet their claim obligation.

• Richard, most people on the forum use the Tauck travel insurance. I do. People who have shared their experiences here about having to use the Tauck insurance have given positive reviews and those I have read have included air transportation to another country for hospital care such as Zambia to South Africa, I have read two incidences of that here on the forum. As I mentioned, I took Global Rescue for a sailing trip one time, but did not have to use it, but I read lots of positive reviews about this company too. I think you will have to continue to do research yourself and make a choice for your needs.
  • British, Thanks, I will look into Global Rescue.
  • Richard, you might want to check out Rick Steve's website under Travel Tips. There is a nice article describing the details of travel insurance and some companies he recommends. There may also be some discussion in the forum section.
  • You might also check www.internationalsos.com

Aside from the coverages for business and personal travel, they administer the DOD health program for military retirees overseas.
  • I agree that Tauck Insurance medical coverage is not enough. We usually purchase the Tauck Insurance and, in addition, also purchase an additional medical coverage policy. We recently purchased Geo Blue for additional medical coverage for our Tauck trip to Switzerland. The medical only policies are very reasonable and they give us the extra medical insurance we feel we may need in an emergency. You may want to go to: insuremytrip.com to read about policies, especially medical only policies. Their reps are also very knowledgeable and can help you make your decision on which plan to buy. Hope this helps!
  • When leaving the USA, I have two different plans. One is MedJetAssist that provides air back to the hospital of your choice if you are hospitalized more than 150 miles from your home. Cost is approx $300/year for my wife and myself. Also; I purchase (price varies by age) a Nationwide medical policy from my Nationwide agent for the specified length of time I desire for any trip. Since I am on medicare with a secondary, medicare only is effective in the USA, Puerto Rico, American Samoa, and Guam. This extra policy can be tailored for your specific needs. No I am not an insurance agent! Have a great trip. Capt Bligh
  • I travel frequently, and generally use www.squaremouth.com to select a policy. They have various companies and price ranges.

I will be traveling to Tanzania in July. This time I chose Tauck insurance primarily for the travel insurance home. My personal insurance will cover me for medically expenses overseas if the primary insurance provided by Tauck is insufficient, but my personal insurance does not provide coverage for medical transportation back to the US.

Enjoy your trip.